Charge reduced to Manslaughter

After spending more than 14 months on remand at the Richmond Hill Prison on a Non-Capital Murder charge, 26-year old Johnny Perryman of Beaton, St. David is out of prison on bail after the charge was reduced to Manslaughter.

Perryman is charged in connection with the March 24, 2018 stabbing death of 61-year-old Francis Williams of the same village.

Magistrate Karen Noel granted bail in the sum of EC$30, 000.00 with two (2) sureties to the suspect Monday at a sitting of the St. David’s Magistrate’s Court following a bail application by his attorney, Jerry Edwin.

Johnny Perryman – had his charge reduced from Non-Capital Murder to Manslaughter

THE NEW TODAY understands that the bail request was presented to the court in light of a decision taken by the Prosecution team to reduce the charge to Manslaughter.

Perryman, a construction worker, was initially jointly charged with Non-Capital Murder, along with his uncle, Davis Gulston, 37, who is an Auto Body Repairman from the same village, following the late night stabbing incident that brought the senior citizen’s life to an end.

Information reaching THE NEW TODAY was that the deceased collapsed after receiving two (2) stab wounds, one (1) to his face and another to his chest just after 8.00 p.m. on the night of the incident, close to a popular village shop.

Reports suggest that the deceased along with three (3) other men were having a drink at a village shop when another individual, whose name was withheld, showed up.

However, the man’s presence was not welcomed and he was asked to leave the compound but he did not comply. This resulted in an altercation with one of the men who was drinking inside the shop.

The deceased man reportedly left the scene and returned moments later with a cutlass and reportedly made a strike with the instrument at the individual.

The cutlass is said to have struck another man who was trying to put peace.

THE NEW TODAY understands that the man who was struck with the cutlass got upset and attacked Williams and the two were soon after engaged in a scuffle.

Information revealed that when they separated and after a few minutes of fighting, Francis stood up and fell back down.

Gulston reportedly fled the scene following the incident, while the other was boasting about winning the fight.

Gulston has retained the services of Attorney-at-Law Anselm Clouden to assist him.

Neither accused men have accepted responsibility for the death of Williams and have been committed to stand trial at the High Court.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.