Shooting Victim Dies at Hospital

The 24-year-old masked muslimeen who was charged with two counts of attempted murder could have his charge upgraded to murder, as one of the victims of the September 30th shooting has succumbed to his injuries.

Garfield Matthews – succumbed to his gunshot wound

Garfield Matthews, also known as “Cut-Up”, died last week Thursday at the St. George’s General Hospital from a gunshot wound to his chest.

Matthews was the second victim of Rahiem Kelshall, who first shot Brudel Buckmire at his bar known as D Joint at Kirani James Boulevard after allegedly robbing him of an undisclosed amount of cash.

The Happy Hill born Kelshall fled the crime scene and moments later shot Matthews at Jean Anglais.

Kelshall is currently on remand at Her Majesty’s Prison at Richmond Hill, St. George facing four different charges for the shootings.

The suspect is believed to have spent time in neighbouring Trinidad & Tobago as a member of a Muslim mosque on El Socorro Rd in San Juan.

Sources said that Kelshall is no stranger to the underworld of criminal activities and was shot in the twin-island republic before returning to his homeland “to cool out”.

Buckmire is said to have received a single gunshot wound to his upper left chest and is currently in stable condition at the St. George’s General Hospital.




The armed gunman in the process of running away from the scene was confronted by two men at Jean Anglais, one of whom was the deceased Matthews.

According to the source, the masked suspect was apparently identified by one of the two who called out his name and he demanded that the men drop to the ground but the order was disobeyed by Matthews and he was fired upon.

Kelshall is due to make his second court appearance at the No.1 Magistrate’s Court in St. George’s on October 23rd, where the charge of murder may be read to him.

Rahiem Kelshall – described as a dangerous person and a suspected top
Muslimeen gunman

Underworld sources told THE NEW TODAY that one of the shootings could be linked to a dispute over money on a supply of the high-priced Kush weed that is in great demand on the island by ganja smokers.

“There may be a drug link. I told you some months ago about the Kush weed and the Trini connection. South went to collect monies owed the Trini Don for Kush. Dem man not playing for Kush – too much money involved….”, said the source who did not want to be identified.

“He (South) was involved in shootings in Trinidad – very dangerous guy. He got shot and had to come here to cool out. He is a shooter”, he added.

The source pointed out that there could be more deaths on the island over money dispute from the sale of the lucrative Kush weed as some of the locals involved in the business are not playing fair with their suppliers in Trinidad and St. Vincent.

He said: “From what am hearing on the ground there are a few more to get lick up. Kush weed has changed the dance because it is worth more than natural weed and as such in high demand by the Dons. The things am hearing on the ground is scary to say the least -frightening”.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.