Husband and Wife on Manslaughter Charge

Approximately 4 months after the Easter Monday (April 2) drowning death of 3-year-old Grand Anse Valley resident, Caleb Fraser, law enforcement officers have laid a charge of Manslaughter by Negligence on his uncle, Clyde Fraser, 32, and his auntie-in-law Susan Fraser, 34, of Frequente, St. George.

Susan Fraser – jointly charged with her
husband for the Easter Monday afternoon death of the toddler

Clyde Fraser, a Clerk by profession and his unemployed wife Susan, made their first appearance Monday before Chief Magistrate Tamara Gill at the St. George’s No. 1 Magistrate’s Court represented by Attorney-at-Law, Senator Cathisha Williams.

The Police Prosecution did not object to bail being granted to the two who were each granted bail in the sum of $30, 000.00 with 2 sureties.

As part of the bail conditions, they were ordered to surrender all travel documents and to request permission from the court to leave the jurisdiction.

THE NEW TODAY understands that Clyde and his wife were among family members visiting the Grand Anse Beach on the day the toddler met his unfortunate demise.

It is understood that the husband and wife were entrusted with the safe keeping of the toddler and were not even aware of the tragic situation until someone took the child out of the water onto the sand at about 3.15 p.m. and started to perform Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in an attempt to save the young life.

Mother of the deceased child, Peaches Mc Queen, who witnessed the incident, had expressed to reporters her disappointment with the manner the event unfolded and the response received from Emergency units.

She noted that when the Coast Guard arrived they came without life-saving equipment which she felt could have probably helped save her son’s life.

Clyde Fraser – facing Manslaughter charge in
connection with the death of his 3-year-old nephew

She said, it was when the officer saw that the child was motionless, he ran back to the boat to get what he needed.

She also mentioned the fact that there were no lifeguards on the beach at the time of the incident to help save the life of her son.

Peaches’ advice to the authorities is to have lifeguards on duty at the beach at all times to avoid similar incidents.

Young Caleb was taken to the St. George’s General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Clyde and his wife, who face a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment, are due to reappear in Court on November 12.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.