Prisoner breaks leg while attempting to escape

A prisoner identified as Toobooi “Timothy” Williams was left nursing injuries after he fell and broke one of his leg during a daring escape attempt last week Wednesday on the compound of No. 5 High Court on the Carenage in St. George’s.

Toobooi Timothy Williams, who broke his leg while attempting to escape custody last week Wednesday

Williams has held as a remand prisoner at the Richmond Hill Prison since August 2016 for allegedly committing multiple offences of a serious nature.

Information reaching THE NEW TODAY suggest that the Darbeau, St. George resident, tried to escape custody by removing several panes of louvers from a bathroom window.

The prisoner reportedly asked police escorts to allow him to use the bathroom facilities on the court compound.

After removing the panes of louvers, he moved up to the roof of the Court house building, and jumped down from there to the back of the building.

Speculation is rife that Williams landed on a wall structure, which is how it is believed that he would have fell and broke his leg.

THE NEW TODAY contacted Supreme Court Registrar, Alana Twum-Barimah last week Friday to find out what measures are now being put in place to ensure that something like this does not happen again.

She declined to make any statement on the issue before discussing the matter with the relevant stakeholders.

The incident occurred while Williams, who is represented by experienced criminal defense Attorney, George Prime, was waiting to appear before Trinidadian-born judge, Justice Shiraf Aziz, to enter a plea on a number of charges of Robbery with Violence and House Breaking and Stealing, along with co-accused Irvin Garvin Junior Thomas of Lowther’s Lane, St. George, who is represented by Attorney-at-law, Anselm Clouden.

Irvin Thomas, who is jointly charged with Williams for a number of serious offences, including robbery with violence among others

Back in June 2016, a wanted man bulletin was issued by the police for both Williams and Thomas, in connection with a series of offences including kidnapping and rape.

Approximately 1-month later, lawmen swooped down on the two men, who were hiding out at an abandoned house somewhere in St. David.

They were both taken to the St. Paul’s Police Station, where Williams reportedly tried to escape police custody.

When the matter first came up before the St. George’s Magistrate’s Court, the police prosecution, which was led by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Godfrey Victor, had strongly objected to bail being granted to the two suspects, especially Williams, who reportedly tried to run away while being held at the St. Paul’s Police Station.

Presently, Williams and Thomas are facing 4 counts of kidnapping, taking a vehicle without the consent of the owner, 3 counts of robbery with violence, 1 count of house breaking, stealing from a dwelling house among others.

Speaking on the issue with THE NEW TODAY, Attorney Prime acknowledged that his client’s action could most likely result in further charges being laid against him.

Both Williams and Thomas are scheduled to reappear before Justice Aziz on January 26, 2018.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.