British national fined EC$150, 000 for trafficking cocaine

A British national who was fined $150, 000.00 by Magistrate Tahira Gellineau to be paid forthwith and in default spend two years at the Richmond Hill prison is yet to come up with the money.

The sentence was imposed on 36-year old Martin Collins who pleaded guilty to trafficking EC$500, 000 worth of cocaine at the Maurice Bishop International Airport (MBIA).

Defence lawyer, Peter David pleaded for a non-custodial sentence on Collins when he appeared last week before the Magistrate at the No. 2 Magistrate’s Court in St. George’s.

David had assured the court that Collins would be able to pay a fine forthwith.

THE NEW TODAY understands that the British national is still held in custody at the prison after failing to pay the fine.

Collins was nabbed at the airport while trying to return to England on Virgin Atlantic Flight #V052 with his family.

According to sources, a check of one of the suitcases revealed a false compartment with 10 suspicious looking packages containing a white powdery substance, which tested for cocaine.

Collins and his family were taken off the plane and questioned in connection to the drugs, which were retrieved from a black and brown Samsonite suitcase, which bore the name of his 11-year-old daughter.

The British national reportedly confessed to police interrogators that his family had no knowledge of the illegal substance and that he was paid £10, 000, to carry back to England for a friend.

He had pleaded guilty to the offence when he made his first court appearance on Thursday November 30.

Meanwhile, information reaching THE NEW TODAY is that 26-year-old American national Shelby Nichole Walton, who was in October fined $30, 000 to be paid forthwith or serve 3-years in prison after pleading guilty to trafficking in $45, 000 worth of cocaine is still at the Richmond Hill Prison after failing to pay the fine.

At the time of her arrest, the mother of 2, who was employed as a package handler at FEDEX, was preparing to board Jet Blue Flight 950 outbound to the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

Attorney David, who represented her was successful in his request to the Magistrate’s Court for a non-custodial sentence to be imposed.

Walton, found herself in trouble with the law, after a search of her person, turned up a small quantity of cocaine.

She also confessed to swallowing several more pellets of the illegal drug.

The American was taken to the St. George’s General Hospital and given laxatives to pass out the pellets.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.