No Charges Against Senior Police Officer

Director of Public Prosecutions (FPP), Christopher Nelson, QC has ordered a Coroner’s Inquiry be held into the Carnival shooting to death of Bruce Briggs, a former bus conductor by an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) with the Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF).

Speaking to THE NEW TODAY newspaper on Wednesday, Nelson said that he had reviewed the files of the case and tendered the advise to the police as the next stage of their probe.

A team of top officers from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the police force visited Nelson early Monday morning to hand over the case files to him for direction.

The files were handed over to the DPP the day after CID investigators took a statement from their police colleague who fired the shot that struck Briggs in his leg.

According to the DPP, he concluded after looking at the information contained in the files that the best course of action in the circumstances was for a Magistrate and Jury to sit in a Coroner’s Inquiry and make a determination.

He said that all persons with information related to the killing could do so before the Coroner’s Inquiry.

DPP Nelson pointed out that he did not see the need to bring a criminal charge “up front” against anyone given the circumstances in which Briggs was shot and killed.

CID officers were called in the early hours of Wednesday last week to investigate a report that a man was shot on Williamson Road in St. George’s.

Sources close to the investigation told this newspaper that the deceased was a past visitor to the house where he was shot.

The senior police officer reportedly claimed that he was not aware of the identity of the person who was coming onto the property in the wee hours of last Wednesday when he fired the shot at him.

Briggs was said to have been on friendly terms with the brother of the police officer.

This newspaper was told that the brother informed police officers who interviewed him that Briggs had not visited the house for a very long time.

According to the source, one of the things that is seemingly going in favour of the ASP is the fact that the bullet which struck the deceased was not apparently aimed at the head or chest in order to cause death but rather at the foot.

In addition, he said that if the Ambulance and Medical team from the St. George’s General Hospital had arrived on the scene at a much earlier time it was quite possible that Briggs would not have died from the injury sustained.

“It was not a life-threatening injury. I have seen far worst cases.

The man was left lying on the ground far too long and bled to death from the injury”, he remarked.

THE NEW TODAY understands that the Coroner’s Inquiry could start within a matter of weeks into the death of Briggs.

The findings of the Coroner will determine if the DDP should bring closure to the matter or lay charges against anyone in connection with Briggs’ death.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.