It has been approximately one year since he disappeared sparking concerns about the exact whereabouts of drug accused, Ricardo Samuel of St. Paul’s.
The 27-year old Samuel is among four persons who were charged by police with possession and trafficking of a controlled drug early last year.
His co-defendants, Crispin Ramdeen, 29, of Moliniere and Graham Griffith 28 of St. Paul’s were granted bail in the sum of EC$25,000 with two sureties while Vincentian Andy Richards, 34, was remanded to the Richmond Hill Prison.
THE NEW TODAY understands that Samuel had turned up for a few court hearings but disappeared somehow.
In April 2015, the Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) solicited the assistance of the general public in locating Samuel as the Police Prosecution sought to proceed with the matter against him.
When the case came up before the St George’s No. 1 Magistrate’s Court Tuesday, the parents of Samuel who stood his bail told the court that they received information that their son ended up dead in St. Vincent.
Attorney for the defendants, Peter David, who also addressed the issue, said that Samuel’s death is speculation and is yet to be confirmed.
Speaking on the issue in a telephone interview with THE NEW TODAY Tuesday, Head of the Drug Squad of the local Police Force, Superintendent Rodriquez James said the Vincentian authorities have not communicated any such information to them as it relates to Samuel.
He stated that if the authorities in the neighbouring island were aware of the situation they would have contacted the local authorities to make inquiries as had been done in the past.
THE NEW TODAY understands that the parents of Samuel, having stood his bail, would find themselves in an EC$25, 000 debt to the court on Samuel’s behalf, unless they can present to the court evidence of his death.
Chief Magistrate Tamara Gill who presides over the case took the decision to adjourn the matter to December 16, 2016.
Meanwhile, a River Road resident has been granted bail on a charge of indecent assault in the sum EC$15, 000 with two sureties.
Conrad Joseph Frederick is accused of committing a sexual offence against his 15-year-old daughter in an incident that allegedly occurred on May 10, at their home in River Road.
The accused appeared before the Chief Magistrate on Monday alongside his attorney, Peter David.
Bail was granted with no objection from the Police Prosecution.
Chief Magistrate Gill also ordered Frederick to have no contact with the victim and report to Central Police Station every Friday between 6.00 a.m and 6.00 p.m.