Woman charged with arson collapses at Court

People attending the St. George’s No.1 Magistrate’s Court on Monday went into a state of panic after a woman collapsed.

Amanda Thomas who is facing a charge of arson collapsed inside an adjourning room as she was awaiting her turn to appear before Chief Magistrate, Her Honour Tamara Gill to answer the charge.

Amanda Thomas - taken out of court on a stretcher

Amanda Thomas – taken out of court on a stretcher

Thomas who was allegedly avoiding the court for the past two years since the incident occurred was brought to court by a member of the Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) attached to the Prosecution Department after she was arrested on a bench warrant.

An eyewitness who saw when the alleged arsonist collapsed said the accused woman started sweating profusely after the Policeman placed her on a seat in the room.

According to the eyewitness, shortly after the Policeman handed over to Thomas her child, which he was carrying, the woman fell to the ground, face down.

Another woman who came to court to give support to her husband who was facing a drug charge rescued the toddler.

“When I saw she fall, I thought she (was) dead,” the eyewitness said.

Thomas was unresponsive, and remained in an unconscious state up to the time a medical team comprising a nurse, an orderly, and the ambulance driver from the Accident and Emergency Department of the General Hospital in St. George’s arrived.

However, onlookers were not happy with the response time of the health personnel from the nearby hospital.

A Police Officer who was among those who rushed to the aid of the woman was the first to call the General Hospital.

He said he was told by the person taking the call that there was no ambulance available at the moment.

Woman Police Corporal Telesford who is attached to the Traffic Department arrived at court with a police car and started to make preparation to take away the unconscious woman.

However, the ambulance finally showed up about 20 minutes later after the woman had fallen unconscious.

Thomas was placed in a lying position on a stretcher by the medical team and taken away to the hospital.

The toddler was carried away by a nurse.

A member of the Police Prosecution Department told The New Today Newspaper the court has been receiving varying reasons from Thomas for her absence from the court for the past two years.

The Prosecutor said if there wasn’t a problem with her child, Thomas would advance some other excuses as to why she was not able to attend court.

Three years ago, a woman from Tempe, St. George’s who was involved in a domestic dispute at the St. George’s No.1 Magistrate’s Court collapsed and died inside of the courtroom after hearing the evidence provided in a case involving her male companion who at the time was the driver of bus number HX 397 which carries the name “Lewis” on Zone 8 which is the Brizan to St. George’s route.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.