Fugitive Sheldon Bain to be Sentenced for Murder

After eleven years as a fugitive from justice, 36-year-old Sheldon “Dutch” Bain will be sentenced within the next month for the role he played in the October 8, 2002 shooting death of trafficker, Omelia Roberts of Belmont in St. George.

Murder convict Sheldon “Dutch” Bain to be sentenced for the October 2002 shooting death of Belmont resident

Murder convict Sheldon “Dutch” Bain to be sentenced for the October 2002 shooting death of Belmont resident

Bain, along with three others – Kenton Phillip, Elvon Barry, and Zoyd Clement – were jointly charged with intentionally causing the death of Roberts, who was in her early fifties when she lost her life.
All four accused were indicted for murder on May 26, 2003 and convicted by a 12-member Jury on April 7, 2004.

The sentencing was set for June 25, 2004 but a few days earlier Dutch managed to escape from the Richmond Hill Prison and fled the country reportedly for neighbouring St. Vincent & The Grenadines.

The notorious Dutch soon found himself in trouble with authorities there as fingers were pointed at him in connection with a homicide.

The fugitive was freed of murder charges brought against him and was handed over to law enforcement officials in Grenada in November 2015.

Guyana-born high court judge, Justice Kenneth Benjamin, who now serves as Chief Justice in Belize, presided in the Roberts murder trial.

He ordered Zoyd Clement, who was 17 years old at the time of the murder to serve a period no longer than 15 years in prison, while Elvon Barry, who was just shy of 19 years, was given 18 years imprisonment.

20-year old Kenton Phillip, who was the one armed with the gun that was fired to kill the trafficker, was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Roberts was engaged in the trafficking of goods between Grenada and Trinidad and Tobago.
According to the evidence in court, at the time of the dreadful incident, the deceased was inside the house with her children and another adult when the intruders moved in and held them up at gunpoint.

Dutch did not enter the house but waited outside for the other three men.

The Prosecution took the view that Dutch was the ringleader and had organised the robbery and facilitated the other three with transportation and the gun used to execute the fatal shooting.

The case against the fugitive came up for sentencing last week Thursday before high court judge, Justice Paula Gilford at the No. 2 High Court on the Carenage in St. George’s.

Attorney-at-Law George Prime has taken over Dutch’s case, which was initially handled by the now serving Attorney General, Cajeton Hood.

The matter was adjourned for sentencing to February 24, 2016 pending the submissions of two reports, a psychiatric and probation report as requested by Justice Gilford.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.