British Man to be Deported After Chopping Incident

Chief Magistrate Tamara Gill has ordered a British national deported from Grenada on payment of a $2000.00 fine for chopping a 21-year-old machine operator from Grand Anse, St George.

UK national, Jack Robert Biffa and Vincentian Lenroy Edwards (right) being escorted from Court last week Wednesday

UK national, Jack Robert Biffa and Vincentian Lenroy Edwards (right) being escorted from Court last week Wednesday

The victim, who works with a window-making enterprise in the south of the island, did not want his name mentioned in the story.

He is currently nursing a chop wound across the left side of his chest, which required a total of 12 stitches and also left him with a fractured shoulder bone.

The injured man sustained the injuries from a cutlass that was used on him by the British national on Carnival Sunday night in the south of the island.

Police arrested and charged Jack Robert Biffa, a national of the United Kingdom (UK) for the crime.

Biffa, who lives in London, pleaded guilty to the offense of “intentionally and unlawfully causing a wound” last week Wednesday, before the Chief Magistrate who was sitting at the St. George’s No.1 Magistrate’s Court.

Information is kind off sketchy as to exactly what sparked the late night incident, which occurred near a shop in the Mont Toute area just hours before the Monday morning J’ouvert festival.

However, Biffa, who was represented by Attorney-at-law Peter David, told the court that the person whom he chopped resembled one of the men who had robbed him earlier in the day.

“…Someone snatched my phone from me while I was in the shop…and I saw a cutlass available and used it…”, the accused told the court.

The evidence from the Police Prosecution is that the British man ran up to the victim, chopped him and then fled the scene.

The Chief Magistrate fined Biffa EC$2, 000 to be paid forthwith and for him to be then deported back to his homeland.

Meanwhile, three men who were charged for drug possession following a police operation on August 14 have been granted bail by the Chief Magistrate.

The suspects have been identified as  27-year-old Machine Operator, Clint Paul of St. Paul’s, 33-year-old St. Vincent and the Grenadines national, Lenroy Edwards, who is living at Tempe, St. George and a 30-year-old Lifeguard of Maran, St. John, Larry George.

The Drug Squad reportedly pounced on the men and allegedly found them with 25 pounds of Cannabis in a house in the St. Paul’s, St. George area.

Paul, Edwards and George were each charged with the offence of Possession of a Controlled Drug.

During their first court appearance on August 17 at the St. George’s No.1 Magistrate’s Court, Chief Magistrate Gill granted bail to Larry George in the sum $10,000 with two sureties, while Clint Paul was placed on $60,000 bail with two sureties.

However, the Vincentian national was remanded to Her Majesty’s Prison, Richmond Hill, St. George.

The three men, who have retained the services of Attorney-at-Law Francis Paul, were expected to make their second appearance Thursday (yesterday) before the Chief Magistrate.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.