Grenada’s National Men’s Football team will play Haiti in its third-round qualifying games in a home-and-away fixture, carded for the first and second week in September without their head coach, Anthony Modeste.
Modeste, who is a former national footballer himself, is in the process of appealing disciplinary action taken against him by the Disciplinary Committee of the Federation International de Football Association (FIFA), for alleged “unsporting behaviour towards a match official” during the Spice Boyz World Cup preliminary round game against Puerto Rico on June 12.
The Coach was red carded during the game and later fined $10,000.00 (Swiss Currency) to be paid within 30 days and placed on a 4-match ban.
Speaking with THE NEW TODAY last week Thursday, GFA President Cheney Joseph affirmed the local organisation’s support for Modeste, who has denied the allegations.
The GFA has not been very forthcoming with information on the Modeste issue but in a recent press statement said, it continues to investigate the circumstances, which led to FIFA taking disciplinary action against Modeste.
The Association pointed out that it had “been in contact with Modeste as well as GFA’s own legal counsel, Ms Sabrita Khan-Ramdhani, FIFA Disciplinary Committee and many other persons to address the matter as well as concerns raised by the coach.”
Acting GFA General Secretary – Malaika Church, said the local football body “understand the public’s need to be informed during this time but we, at the Association, must be mindful of the legalities attached to releasing information while seeking an appeal on behalf of Mr. Modeste.”
Church told THE NEW TODAY Monday that the GFA is in the process of deciding upon a substitute coach to handle Team Grenada in its next game against Haiti to be played in Grenada on September 4 and in Haiti four days later on September 8.