$80,000 Bail for Robbery at Port Louis

Annis Murriel bows her head in shame as she and Carvel Edwards make their first appearance in court

Annis Murriel bows her head in shame as she and Carvel Edwards make their first appearance in court

A St. George’s Magistrate Court has granted Bail in the sum of EC$80, 000.00 to two dismissed employees of Port Louis on charges of Stealing.

The two suspects are 37-year-old Annis Murriel of Mt Parnassus but who resides at New Hampshire and 32-year-old Carvell Edwards of Gouyave but is currently living at Lowther’s Lane, St George.

Murriel and Edwards appeared before Magistrate Tahira Gellineau last week Friday along with their lawyers Francis Paul and Ruggles Ferguson.

They have been charged with 43 counts of Falsification of accounts and Stealing by reason of employment.

Murriel has also been slapped with an additional charge of forgery.

The two accused women both worked at the Penny’s of London Boutique at Port Louis where they allegedly stole $84,496.02 over a period of approximately one year.

THE NEW TODAY newspaper understands that Murriel was allegedly fired from communications company Digicel in 2013 for a similar offence.

It was reported back then that she allegedly stole approximately $20,000, which she is currently paying back.

Digicel is said to have agreed not to go for Police Prosecution and for Murriel to repay the money in monthly installments.

Despite the incident, the fired employee was able to land a job at the Port Louis Boutique that caters to many international customers to earn money to repay Digicel.

However, the mother of three has once again landed in trouble for allegedly stealing from the boutique.

Attorneys Ferguson and Paul were successful in their requests made to Magistrate Gellineau to grant bail to their clients which was set at EC$80,000 with two sureties.

The Magistrate ordered the suspects to surrender all travel documents including ID’s, to stay away from all witnesses involved in the case and report to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID)  between 6.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Murriel and Edwards were incensed when they realised that local journalists had gathered outside the court house to cover the story and take their photographs.

They allegedly asked their lawyers to try and intervene and to keep the reporters away.

The two Port Louis suspects will make their next court appearance on April 13.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.