Aneka Charles pleads guilty to murder

Aneka Charles as she appeared in Court in November 2011

Aneka Charles as she appeared in Court in November 2011

Aneka Charles, who is charged for the November 6, 2011 murder of her three-year-old sister Sharian Charles, pleaded guilty to the charge Monday morning at the Number One High Court in St. George’s.

The first time offender of St George’s Estate made the plea before Justice Price Findley, a decision, which came approximately three years after the incident occurred.

The murdered three-year old child was reported missing and a subsequent search of the area found her lifeless body in some bushes close to their house.

The toddler was found with her clothes wet and froth coming from her nostrils and mouth. She was pronounced dead by Dr. Gail Friday and a post-mortem concluded that she died from asphyxiation.

Charles, who is being legally represented by state-appointed Defense Attorney – Derrick Sylvester, was 17 years old at the time of the incident.

The High Court had subsequently granted Charles EC$50, 000 bail after which she was placed in the care of an independent family. However, a change in the placement was made due to alleged misconduct on the part of the accused.

As a result, bail was revoked and Charles was once more placed on remand at Her Majesty’s Prison – Richmond Hill, St. George.

In October 2012, Charles gave birth to a baby boy. THE NEW TODAY newspaper learnt that it was during the change amongst families that she got pregnant.

Aneka is one of a triplet. Weeks before the incident, she had reportedly told her mother  that her stepfather had allegedly interfered with her but nothing was done about it.

According to a well-placed source, Aneka told police officers then that she decided to retaliate against her sister who is fathered by her stepfather, out of rage and anger with the action of Sharian’s father.

A year earlier, the father of the murder accused student was found dead in the Melrose area of Boca with a wound to his side.  Although murder is suspected, no one has been charged for the killing.

According to a reliable source, prior to the death of the 3-year old infant, she and another sister were at home looking at a television show.

The source who does not wish to be identified said the older sibling went inside of the bedroom, but upon returning to the living room minutes later, the child was missing.

A search was immediately conducted and the infant was found in some bushes close to the house with froth coming from her nostrils and mouth, and her clothes wet.

The body of the child was removed from the bushes and brought back into the house.

Charles, now 20 years old, is due for sentencing on March 13th at 1:30 pm at the Number One High Court in St George’s.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.