By Carrema Lewis
Police are confident that they have smashed a gang that went on the rampage in recent weeks and stole several items including fridges and stoves worth over EC$100,000.00
Members of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) have brought charges against four men in connection with a number of reported break-ins throughout the country.
The suspects – Enroy Williams, Anderson Clement, Hamilton Joseph and Oswald Peters – made their first court appearance last week Friday before Magistrate Tahira Gellineau to answer 21 charges varying from Stealing, Housebreaking and Stealing and Receiving.
Peters has been charged with Receiving, Williams is facing two counts of Housebreaking, and both Clement and Joseph have been slapped with four counts of stealing and four counts of house-breaking.
The charges stemmed from several stolen household items that were recovered by CID Officers in raid carried out during September and October.
According to Officer in Charge of the Community Relations Department in the force, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Gregory Mathurine, the items recovered have been valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars.
They included Refrigerators, Stoves, Radios, Mattresses, Washing Machines, Microwaves, Televisions, Laptops among others that were recovered in St David, St George, St John and St Patrick.
The arrested men were also charged in relation to the discovery of a Grand Vitara that was found almost scrapped and hidden in a container at the Ravine in Mt Gay, St George.
The vehicle belongs to Lucy and Gentle Lessey of Lance Aux Epines, St George’s.
According to ASP Mathurine, it is more than likely that more arrests would be made as the lawmen continue their investigations into other stolen items.
“Some persons were already arrested but for some of the break-ins the matter is on going and other persons we are sure would be arrested for some of these offences”, he said.
“…We cannot say that the items found are all related to break-ins within a three month span, because the issue is – we may find items relating to previous break-ins. Most of them (recovered) so far are connected to those break-ins that we were having over that period of time,” he added.
ASP Mathurine announced that some of the affected persons have already come into the police to identify their stolen items.
“That’s why we can charge persons not just for receiving but persons who actually committed the crime”, he told reporters.
When the four appeared before Magistrate Gellineau, the Police Prosecutor did not object to bail being granted to two of the suspects who did not have previous convictions – Peters ($4,500 bail with one surety) and Joseph (bail in the sum of $10,000 with two sureties).
However, the Prosecutor objected to bail for Williams and Clement who have been classified as frequent repeat offenders.
Clement has nine previous offences, which will now be added to the 14 new charges laid on him.
The Prosecutor objected to bail on the grounds that the two convicts should be kept in custody in light of the fact that the festive season was approaching and civilians should not be allowed to live in fear due to their presence in the community.
All four suspects are due to return to court on November 10 where the Preliminary Inquiry into the charges should start before Chief Magistrate
Tamara Gill in the Number one Magistrate’s Court.