Clack makes another court appearance

Alexander Clack – charged with the murder of his wife

Alexander Clack – charged with the murder of his wife

The man accused of commiting one of the most bizzare murders in recent times – British national, Alexander Robert Clack will return to Court next week Thursday.

The 32-year old former employee of a leading security company on the island was charged with Non-Capital Murder following the killing of his wife, Nixiann Downes-Clack of Duquesne, St Mark’s last month.

Last Thursday, the suspect appeared before Chief Magistrate Tamara Gill and his lawyer, Anselm Clouden attempted to get the court to make an order for his client to visit the General Hospital in St. George’s for a medical evaluation and an x-ray.

A small handful of family members turned up amidst heavy rainfall  for Clack’s second court appearance.

However quiet groans of discontentment could be heard inside the courtroom from aggrieved family members as Clack’s attorney expressed his frustration with the failure of his client to get satisfactory medical attention.

While avoiding directly accusing prison doctors –  Sonia Johnson and Martha Marryshow of incompetence on the part of his client, Clouden told the Court that on arrival at the Richmond Hill Prison, his client was seen by a doctor but that his situation was dealt with lightly and not sufficiently intrusive.

He informed the Court that he complained on behalf of his client to Deputy Commissioner of Prisons, Derek John for another doctor to be brought in to examine his client, and although this was done, his client’s problem was not addressed.

During Clack’s first court appearance, the attorney-at-law informed the Chief Magistrate that his client told him that he was beaten by police officers while in their custody.

According to Clouden, some derogatory remarks were made against his client by one of the doctors, to the effect that what the murder accusd need is not a medical doctor to look at him but a physiatrist.

The attorney-at-law told the Chief Magistrate that his client continues to experience excruciating pain in the left ear and no x-ray took place to determine the cause of the problem and possible treatments for the ailment.

He urged the senior Magistrate to enable his client to visit the General Hospital to seek the attention of possibly a ear, nose and throat specialist and for a proper medical evaluation to be done of blows allegedly administered to his head while in the custody of the Royal Grenada Police Force.

The Chief Magistrate suggested to Clouden that he should seek private medical attention for his client.

The lawyer rejected the proposal on the grounds that it would be unfair to ask his client to pay for medical attention when he is in the care of the State.

Magistrate Gill redirected Clouden to go back to the prison to get medical attention for Clack since granting his request will be admitting that the Court has no confidence in both medical doctors employed by the State.

Clouden repeated his request for full disclosure of all documents and materials relating to his client and was assured that these would be delivered to him within six days (Tuesday, July 22).

Clouden said that his client is innocent and cast aside reports that Clack confessed to police about the incident in which the body of his wife was found in a suitcase in a shallow grave in Mt. Moritz.

An autopsy conducted determined that the 27-year-old, died as a result of Blunt Force Trauma and Asphyxiation by Strangulation.

The body of Nixiann was discovered days after her family reported her missing.

The young couple lived at Calliste, St George’s where the incident is alleged to have happened on the day of her sixth wedding Anniversary.

After rigorous questioning by policeofficers, the British national allegedly confessed to police that he killed his wife and buried her.

The accused reportedly accompanied the officers to Mt Moritz to show the lawmen where the body could be found.
Police also detained and subsequently released a 17-year-old student who is said to be one of Clack’s lovers.

The British man allegedly told the police that the young girl provided him with the tools to dig the hole and bury the body.

No charges were laid against the young lady who is believed to have co-operated with the lawmen.

Meawnwhile, THE NEW TODAY was able to speak with Nixiann’s sister, Kim Downes-Szmyglewska, who traveled from England for the burial of her sister.

She told the newspaper that the death is still to fully register with her and what actually happened to her sister despite the burial.

She said that her family is trying to cope with the loss especially their mother Linda Downes-McQueen.
Nixiann was laid to rest last week Tuesday at the family Cemetery in Samaritan following a funeral service held at the Union Pentecostal Church.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.