Thompson sent to Parliament

The Keith Mitchell-led administration in St. George’s is sticking to its guns that Commissioner of Police Willan Thompson will not remain in charge of the Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF).

Thompson was forced to take early leave following the return to power of Dr. Mitchell and his New National Party (NNP) after the February 2013 general election.

In his first meeting with the new Prime Minister, the Commissioner was told by the Grenadian leader that he was not comfortable with him as the island’s Chief Security Officer and raised concerns over a number of issues.

Commissioner Thompson was forced to apply to the Public Service Commission (PSC) for leave and proceeded to the United Kingdom to pursue studies to qualify as a barrister-at-law.

The official leave of the chief cop was due to end on July 6 and he was mandated to report to duties on the following day.

However, last Friday night the PSC dispatched a letter to the Commissioner informing him that he should report to work on Monday morning at the Office of the Clerk of Parliament.

According to a well-placed source, the Commissioner had concerns about the letter and decided to report for work at Police headquarters at Fort George.

He said that when Thompson showed up, he was met on arrival by retired Commissioner Winston James who was brought back by Prime Minister Mitchell to take charge of the operations of the force.

He spoke of a brief encounter on the fort between the two senior
police officers before Commissioner Thompson left the compound and headed for the Office of the Prime Minister to allegedly meet with the Permanent Secretary, Lana Mc Phail.

He stated that following the meeting COP Thompson departed for the Office of the Clerk of Parliament.

Speculation is rife that the island’s chief cop might be asked to take over from the current holder of the post, Ray Donald who is due to go on retirement soon.

THE NEW TODAY understands that the PSC would also soon have to make a determination on the future of another senior police officer, Inspector Senneth Joseph who like Thompson was forced to take early leave following the NNP victory at the polls.

Joseph was removed as head of the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) which, under the former Congress government was investigating a number of alleged acts of wrong-going under the 1995-2008 NNP administrations.

Among the matters were an unaccounted EC$1.6 million that were handed over by a Russian outfit that had entered into an oil and gas agreement with the Mitchell government.

Insp. Joseph came in for a barrage of criticisms from now Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Legal Affairs, Elvin Nimrod who had accused the senior police officer of being linked to the main opposition Congress party.

The police officer sought to institute legal action against Nimrod but the two reportedly reached a settlement on the issue.

Both Joseph and Nimrod are from the sister isle of Carriacou.

Like Thompson, Joseph took leave from the PSC to travel to London in the aftermath of the NNP victory at the pols to pursue legal studies aimed at qualifying as an attorney-at-law.

Joseph is said to be back in the country to return to work as a public officer at the end of his official leave.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.