Last carnival, the Carenage community copped a trio of victories with Republic Bank Angel Harps winning both senior and junior 2011 panorama titles, and Lavaman capturing the Lucozade Road March championship.
The victories are being serenaded in song this year in a composition called “Carenage on Fire’’.
Composed by ace musician James Clarkson and sung by famed Grenadian entertainer, Ajamu, “Carenage on Fire’’ is the selection that Harps will play at the National Panorama competition on August 11 at the National Stadium.
The pannists triumphed last year with a Clarkson composed and arranged selection, “Pan in U Face’’.
A win in 2012 will give Angel Harps its 14th panorama title since the band was founded in 1965. And, for yet another year, Clarkson will arrange the music on pan for the senior players of Angel Harps.
Junior Harps will defend their title with an interpretation of “Outlaws,’’ a tune that was released a few years ago by calypsonian Japs.
The arranger is Andre Skeete, who also was responsible for the overwhelming victory of Junior Harps in the 2011 pan competition held as part of the Children’s Carnival Frolic.
In support of the band’s preparations for this year’s competitions, Republic Bank recently presented Angel Harps with a sponsorship cheque valued at EC$30,000.
Meanwhile, Lavaman is among the first artistes to release music for the carnival season. He’s planning a family fun-day for July to officially launch his 2012 soca songs.
- Pure Grenada bans the importation of Styrofoam Pure Grenada, the Spice of the Caribbean, is making a major shift to ensure that its natural » more
- Bowen: Expect price increase in petroleum products due to closure of T&T’s Petrotrin Consumers in Grenada and other parts of the » more
- Supt Joseph takes Jerry Seales to Court for $10,000 Retired Magistrate Jerry Seales is being pursued in the local high court for over $10, 000.00 » more
- Silver Sands backs down on Propane tanks issue It’s a victory for the owner and operator of the Kids R Wonderful Daycare and Pre-school, Michelle » more
- Commissioner Rupert Agostini recluse from MNIB Investigation Accountant Rupert Agostini, who is on record as the Auditor for the Marketing and » more
- US approve Visa renewal waiver for Grenada Prime Minister Dr. Keith Mitchell has welcomed the decision taken by the United States government of » more
- Grenade replaces Patrick Antoine Economist with the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), Dr. Kari Grenade has replaced Dr. Patrick Antoine as head of » more
- Prime Minister addresses littering at St. George’s Bus Terminus Prime Minister Dr. Keith Mitchell has expressed alarm over the “serious » more
- Physical Planning and Silver Sands agent discuss public concerns Officials from the Physical Planning Unit (PPU) within the Ministry of Finance met » more
- Franklyn gets the nod SpeedZone Track Club athlete, Jalani Franklyn has been elected to sit as the first athlete representative on the Executive » more
- House Speaker: Protest action by Tobias Clement was “improper and disrespectful” Speaker of the House of Representative, Michael Pierre has » more
- NAWASA upgrades water supply to Brooklyn residents The National Water and Sewerage Authority has expended approximately two hundred and fifty » more