Since the publication of this article in “The New Today” and its website, I have been asked by several friends in Grenada and overseas whether there is any truth in the potentially defamatory allegations made against me therein. My answer is “NO”.
1. In 2006, I became a naturalised Citizen of Grenada, and in 2008 I was honoured to accept the invitation of the Government of Grenada to be appointed as Ambassador of Grenada to the United Nations Organisation in Geneva, and that position has been confirmed by two successor Administrations.
2. I have never offered or given any money or other reward to any Minister of the Government of Grenada or other Public Official or to any political association as a bribe or a reward in return for my citizenship or appointment as Ambassador.
3. A Swiss taxpayer who is appointed by another country as its diplomatic representative in Switzerland is entitled by right to certain tax benefits. At the time of my appointment I made it clear to the Swiss Government and to Government of Grenada that I would not apply for or take advantage of those benefits. I have not done so. The Department of Finance for the Republic of Geneva has confirmed this in an official statement.
4. The Embassy of Grenada to the United Nations Organisation in Geneva is housed in offices and living quarters at my house in Vandoeuvres is and has been at the disposal of Ministers and Senior Officials of Grenada. I have borne the cost of setting up and maintaining the Embassy facilities and intend to so continue. I do not draw any emoluments as Ambassador.
5. I have never taken advantage of the diplomatic immunity provided by the Swiss
Government on behalf of myself or any family member or domestic staff, and I intend to so continue.
6. I do not know and have had no dealings with the other gentlemen described in your article, whose conduct – and by implication my conduct – is deprecated.
7. Neither the publisher of the “New Today” or any of his staff, made any attempt to contact me prior to publication.
8. I make this statement in order that the potential damage to my own good name and reputation may be ameliorated.