The Spice Mas Corporation (SMC) is on a drive to ensure that traditional mas is permanently featured as part of Grenada’s cultural heritage.
Member of the SMC, attorney-at-law, Claudette Joseph told reporters last week that the Corporation would focus on educating people on the various forms of traditional mas during a competition that is carded for July 28.
Joseph who is charged with the responsibility of handling the traditional mas aspect of Carnival said that for the second consecutive year there would be the traditional mas exhibition and competition at Victoria, St. Mark’s.
The competition would be held among the different forms of traditional mas, while the exhibition would focus on educating and informing the nation about the history, origin and culture that is traditional mas.
The SMC member said unlike other Carnivals in the region, Grenada has something that is special and unique.
“Hopefully, we would bring all traditional mas to that level where we can really use traditional mas as a tool in which we can market Grenada as a whole and Grenada’s culture,” she added.
Fourteen bands from a wide range of the traditional mas participated in the inaugural activity last year.
“No other country plays traditional mas in the way that we do, no other country has the various types of traditional mas that we do,” Joseph said.
Spicemas which climaxes on August 13 and 14 is being celebrated under the theme, “Uniquely Rooted in Our Rich Ancestral Traditions, Shortknee: Legacy of the Chantuelle.”
Former Calypso Monarch, Findley “Scholar” Jeffrey is tasked with the responsibility of composing a special shortknee calypso.
During the traditional mas competition, a number of persons who have contributed to the growth of traditional mas over the years would be emulated.
As a means of attracting interest in the summer festival, the carnival organisers have once again established what is known as “Carnival City” which is based at Garfield’s Summer Lime on the Kirani James Boulevard every Thursday for the entire season.
Carnival City, which is used to promote Carnival activities, would be taken to each Parish on the island on Sundays.
The event moves into the Tivoli hard court in St. Andrew’s on July 1 where all aspects of Carnival in the parish would be highlighted.
On July 15, the activity is taken to the Victoria hard court in St. Mark’s featuring a pan solo competition.
River Salle Community Centre in St. Patrick’s gets a taste of Carnival City on July 22 showcasing a ladies in calypso competition.
- Steele’s Auto Supplies Co. Ltd. launches Jeep brand The Jeep brand of vehicle is the newest addition to the fleet of vehicles run by the » more
- DPP Nelson continues PI hearing against Insp. Clev Antoine The highly anticipated court matter into allegations of sexual assault against suspended » more
- HOT POLITICAL ISSUE – Relocation of the Grand Anse Jetty The relocation of the Grand Anse jetty is turning into a hot political issue with general » more
- Mixed performance by government on fiscal responsibility The Richard Duncan-led Fiscal Responsibility Committee set up by the ruling New National » more
- Local winner in Campari Trinidad carnival promotion Cherrelle Bain is the Grenada winner of the Campari promotional campaign – Win a Trip to » more
- Grenada government loses appeal in Rex Grenadian expropriation case The Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court of Appeal has stalled the Keith Mitchell-led » more
- Rae Roberts: Workers need to be careful with the “election pie” on offer Former Labour Senator, Raymond Roberts, has exhorted workers on the » more
- An above average 2017 for RGPF The Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) has reported an above average year for Homicides in 2017 with eleven (11) » more
- Prime Minister Mitchell gives strong hint about election date Amidst calls by supporters of the ruling New National Party (NNP) for Prime Minister » more
- Clouden raises concerns over limited beach access Outspoken attorney-at-law, Anselm Clouden is calling for appropriate legislation to be passed in » more
- Sexual Assault on 6-year-old Girl An Apres Toute man, who is considered to be mentally unstable has been picked up by police for questioning in » more
- POLICE FORCE LEFT EMBARRASSED Teenager Charged With Impersonating a Police Officer And Working for Weeks Undetected at South St George Police » more