Spice Mas Corporation (SMC) has formed an alliance with Tropics Entertainment to enhance the panorama competition this year.
Through that alliance worked out, panorama would be flavoured with soca entertainment which the SMC sees as an innovative move geared at attracting a larger audience to the show, while at the same time giving a better quality presentation.
SMC’s Chairman Colin Dowe disclosed to the media last week that his organisation forged a collaboration with Tropics Entertainment as a result of a promoters’ meeting where a call was made for partnership in assisting the carnival committee to improve on the panorama product.
Dowe said the shortfall in the investment in the steel band movement is one reason why the product needs to be improved.
He stated that steel band is the largest investment made by SMC of any of the three components of Carnival – mas, pan and calypso.
According to him, the investment in steel band approaches $400,000.00, while the returns through gate receipts and sponsorships total $22,000.00.
“We called for partnerships. We had a number of proposals that we had to go through, and in doing so we forged a partnership that would bring ‘good entertainment’ to the night that is Pantastic Saturday,” he said.
Pantastic Saturday, which takes place on August 11, would be made up of the traditional steel band competition along with performances by regional and local soca artistes.
Among the regional soca artistes would be Bunji Garlin, Kerwin Du Bois, and Fay-Ann Lyons from Trinidad and Tobago.
Dowe felt that it is extremely important to give the huge number of youngsters who are panists taking part in the panorama competition “that is a pillar of Carnival”, an audience to witness the skill, discipline and talent, and hopefully improving the financial intake.
SMC is currently embroiled in a confrontation with the promoters of “White In The Moonlight” which is a soca show that takes place annually on Panorama night in St. Andrew’s.
The Carnival organisers are urging the promoters to look at an alternative date in staging “White In The Moonlight,” which competes directly with panorama for patrons.
It is felt that the partying population of Grenada is too small for two mega events to be successful on the same night.
Dowe said with Carnival being the largest cultural event in Grenada, it needs to be treated as a business.
“In order for Grenada to maximise the benefits of Carnival, the wider the spread of the activities, the more spend there will be within the economy, and hence the returns to all Grenadians increase,” he added.
Last year, carnival contributed approximately $18.1m to the local economy.
- Steele’s Auto Supplies Co. Ltd. launches Jeep brand The Jeep brand of vehicle is the newest addition to the fleet of vehicles run by the » more
- DPP Nelson continues PI hearing against Insp. Clev Antoine The highly anticipated court matter into allegations of sexual assault against suspended » more
- HOT POLITICAL ISSUE – Relocation of the Grand Anse Jetty The relocation of the Grand Anse jetty is turning into a hot political issue with general » more
- Mixed performance by government on fiscal responsibility The Richard Duncan-led Fiscal Responsibility Committee set up by the ruling New National » more
- Local winner in Campari Trinidad carnival promotion Cherrelle Bain is the Grenada winner of the Campari promotional campaign – Win a Trip to » more
- Grenada government loses appeal in Rex Grenadian expropriation case The Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court of Appeal has stalled the Keith Mitchell-led » more
- Rae Roberts: Workers need to be careful with the “election pie” on offer Former Labour Senator, Raymond Roberts, has exhorted workers on the » more
- An above average 2017 for RGPF The Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) has reported an above average year for Homicides in 2017 with eleven (11) » more
- Prime Minister Mitchell gives strong hint about election date Amidst calls by supporters of the ruling New National Party (NNP) for Prime Minister » more
- Clouden raises concerns over limited beach access Outspoken attorney-at-law, Anselm Clouden is calling for appropriate legislation to be passed in » more
- Sexual Assault on 6-year-old Girl An Apres Toute man, who is considered to be mentally unstable has been picked up by police for questioning in » more
- POLICE FORCE LEFT EMBARRASSED Teenager Charged With Impersonating a Police Officer And Working for Weeks Undetected at South St George Police » more