Another public figure has been sent to jail for a sexual offense.
School Teacher Aaron Hercules has been given an 18-month prison sentence by Madam Justice, Margaret Price-Findlay, three days after the same judge handed twice time Calypso Monarch, Biko Lewis a 20-month prison sentence for unlawful carnal knowledge of a 15-year old student.
Hercules, a resident of Fontenoy, St. George’s, was found guilty of indecent assault last week Thursday by a nine-member jury that comprised six women and three men.
The jury returned a majority verdict of seven to two at High Court Number Two on conclusion of the trial that lasted three days.
Hercules who was 32 years of age at the time of the incident is accused of committing the sexual offense sometime between March 1 and 31, 2009 against a child who was a student at the school where he taught.
The child who was then 13, complained that Hercules had engaged in acts of touching her private parts.
A court official told The New Today Newspaper that throughout the trial, Hercules who gave a sworn testimony from the witness box, maintained his innocence.
The case was successfully prosecuted by Crown Counsel, Criss-Ann Greenidge, a young female attorney employed with the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for the past five years.
Incidentally, Greenidge had also been the State Prosecutor in the case involving Calypsonian Biko.
News of the schoolteacher’s uncharacteristic behaviour with students at the St. George’s Methodist School where he taught first came to light by Education Minister, Senator Franka Bernadine who gave assurance that her ministry would not put up with any relationship between teachers and students.
Civil society had also engaged in a street march from the vicinity of the school at Queen’s Park denouncing Hercules’ behaviour.
There were other reports circulating in the country that the schoolteacher had engaged in a number of inappropriate behaviour with students, and civil society felt he had betrayed the trust placed in him as a schoolteacher and should be removed from the system.
There are eleven (11) matters of sexual offenses on the current list of the assizes, which concludes next month.
- Steele’s Auto Supplies Co. Ltd. launches Jeep brand The Jeep brand of vehicle is the newest addition to the fleet of vehicles run by the » more
- DPP Nelson continues PI hearing against Insp. Clev Antoine The highly anticipated court matter into allegations of sexual assault against suspended » more
- HOT POLITICAL ISSUE – Relocation of the Grand Anse Jetty The relocation of the Grand Anse jetty is turning into a hot political issue with general » more
- Mixed performance by government on fiscal responsibility The Richard Duncan-led Fiscal Responsibility Committee set up by the ruling New National » more
- Local winner in Campari Trinidad carnival promotion Cherrelle Bain is the Grenada winner of the Campari promotional campaign – Win a Trip to » more
- Grenada government loses appeal in Rex Grenadian expropriation case The Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court of Appeal has stalled the Keith Mitchell-led » more
- Rae Roberts: Workers need to be careful with the “election pie” on offer Former Labour Senator, Raymond Roberts, has exhorted workers on the » more
- An above average 2017 for RGPF The Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) has reported an above average year for Homicides in 2017 with eleven (11) » more
- Prime Minister Mitchell gives strong hint about election date Amidst calls by supporters of the ruling New National Party (NNP) for Prime Minister » more
- Clouden raises concerns over limited beach access Outspoken attorney-at-law, Anselm Clouden is calling for appropriate legislation to be passed in » more
- Sexual Assault on 6-year-old Girl An Apres Toute man, who is considered to be mentally unstable has been picked up by police for questioning in » more
- POLICE FORCE LEFT EMBARRASSED Teenager Charged With Impersonating a Police Officer And Working for Weeks Undetected at South St George Police » more