Last carnival, the Carenage community copped a trio of victories with Republic Bank Angel Harps winning both senior and junior 2011 panorama titles, and Lavaman capturing the Lucozade Road March championship.
The victories are being serenaded in song this year in a composition called “Carenage on Fire’’.
Composed by ace musician James Clarkson and sung by famed Grenadian entertainer, Ajamu, “Carenage on Fire’’ is the selection that Harps will play at the National Panorama competition on August 11 at the National Stadium.
The pannists triumphed last year with a Clarkson composed and arranged selection, “Pan in U Face’’.
A win in 2012 will give Angel Harps its 14th panorama title since the band was founded in 1965. And, for yet another year, Clarkson will arrange the music on pan for the senior players of Angel Harps.
Junior Harps will defend their title with an interpretation of “Outlaws,’’ a tune that was released a few years ago by calypsonian Japs.
The arranger is Andre Skeete, who also was responsible for the overwhelming victory of Junior Harps in the 2011 pan competition held as part of the Children’s Carnival Frolic.
In support of the band’s preparations for this year’s competitions, Republic Bank recently presented Angel Harps with a sponsorship cheque valued at EC$30,000.
Meanwhile, Lavaman is among the first artistes to release music for the carnival season. He’s planning a family fun-day for July to officially launch his 2012 soca songs.
- Conception Dance Theatre Goes to Carifesta Immediately following Spicemas, a contingent of performers from Grenada will be traveling to Barbados to » more
- Resignation of Kirk Seetahal? Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Spicemas Corporation (SMC), Kirk Seetahal has remained tight-lipped about » more
- Patient dies at Medical Station Patients who were at the Health Centre in the town of St. George were asked to leave the building as one man was » more
- $200, 000 BAIL FOR BOAT CAPTAIN ON DRUG CHARGES The St. George’s Magistrate Court has granted $200, 000 bail to 59-year-old, Sea Captain, Charles » more
- Magistrate imposes strict curfew on 19-year-old A 19-year-old boy, who is facing an indictable grievous harm charge has been placed on a curfew to » more
- Terra Caribbean moves to a brand new home Real Estate company, Terra Caribbean has launched The Red Book Grenada from its new office location at » more
- Rainbow City Mas Promoters dominate 2017 CCF The Rainbow City Mas Promoters out of the big parish of St. Andrew have captured all the top titles in » more
- Troubled IMANIS Junior Minister for Youth and Religious Affairs, Senator Pamela Moses has disclosed that thirty-three (33) young persons under the » more
- New Junior Calypso Monarch crowned It was a 1-2-3 for the newly created village of Lacalome in St. David as the first three spots in the Clear » more
- PARENTS REFUTE CLAIMS OF SUICIDE The parents of 14-year-old Liandra John of Grand Bacolet in St. Andrew has utterly dismissed claims that she may » more
- Repeat firearm offender fined $15, 000 Chief Magistrate Her Honor Tamara Gill, who presides over the St. George’s No. 1 Magistrate’s Court has » more
- NYPD Grenadian Officers make donation to RGPF The Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) will be the recipient of about 100 bullet proof vests through » more