Murder in Sanko

“I am not going to help him”. Those were the words uttered Monday night by a visible shaken Matthew Baptiste, the father of 23-year-old, Phillip Baptiste who is facing a non-capital murder charge for killing his uncle on Sunday night in the tiny village of Sanko in the Boca area. Dead is 55-year-old Glen “Brass” Baptiste who allegedly received a fatal blow to the back of his head with a bottle. The father said he was saddened that his own son will kill his brother who was also the uncle of the accused. Speaking to THE NEW TODAY at the … Continue reading

Female Attorney fears rigged elections

A female attorney-at-law has raised the prospects of Grenada not having a free and fair election at the next national poll widely expected some time this year. Claudette Joseph expressed the view in light of the recent unprecedented move by Governor General, Dame Cecile La Grenade to sack eight of the 15 Registration Officers with general elections already in the air. According to Joseph, if there is not a Parliamentary Elections Office that is not susceptible to interference then the country will end up in a situation where it may not be able to conduct free and fair election. The … Continue reading

Vincentian remanded to prison on money laundering charge

A 31 year-old Vincentian national was on Monday remanded to the Richmond Hill Prisons after his bail application was denied at the St. George’s Magistrate’s Court. Philson Spencer, a fisherman by profession, who up to the point of his arrest resided at Non- Pariel in St. Mark is charged with laundering approximately EC$40, 000. The accused was detained during a joint police and marine operation after the fishing vessel he was traveling in was intercepted outside Point Salines, St. George on March 16. Spencer, who was among a group of persons on board the fishing vessel, made his first appearance … Continue reading

Dr. Mitchell: We have a flawless CBI Programme

Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Dr. Keith Mitchell has finally broken his silence on the dispute between two non-nationals on the US$1 million saga linked to the Citizenship By Investment (CBI) programme. Dr. Mitchell who was a guest on his New National Party (NNP) mid-morning talk show programme last week said that so far his government can boast that the programme is “flawless”. He told the host that the checks and balances put in for the programme have caught the eyes regionally and internationally. “In fact, it is because of the level of checks in the system, the person … Continue reading

Steele issues warning to Roger Ver

A senior government minister in Grenada has issued a stern warning to former U.S citizen, Roger Ver that he can expect retaliation if any slanderous statements are made against the ruling New National Party (NNP) administration of Prime Minister Dr. Keith. Health Minister, Nickolas Steele has vowed that government would take “appropriate action” against Ver who in the past week issued an open letter to the people of Grenada in connection with monies sent to the controversial Levera project in the north of the island. Ver is seeking the return of US$1 million that he reportedly handed over to an … Continue reading

Investigation Committee to deal with health complaints

Health Minister Nicholas Steele has announced that a five-member investigation committee is being set up to deal with complaints from the public on health-related issues. Speaking to reporters at the weekly post-Cabinet press briefing, the Health Minister said that the committee would provide counsel on what should be done in relation to these complaints. Over the years, there have been numerous complaints from the public on the quality of Health Care being provided and the attitude of several Health professionals including doctors and nurses at the island’s main health facilities. According to Minister Steele, the members of the committee would … Continue reading

Changes to be made to telecoms bill

Government has stated its intention to make some changes to the Telecommunications Bill to allow for there to be a way in which telecom providers can choose what comes in and goes out at any given hour. The move is believed to be aimed at clamping down on services like Viber, and the increasingly popular WhatsApp. According to Minister of Communication, Works, Physical Development, Public Utilities and ICT, Gregory Bowen, this can only be done if the telecom providers in Grenada gain some kind of control on the Over the Top Services (OTTs). Speaking to reporters at Tuesday’s weekly post-Cabinet … Continue reading

Millions at stake in Grenada invitational

Bahamian Olympian, Chris Browne is reportedly getting US$65, 000.00 to help organise the inaugural Grenada Invitational Sports Meet on April 8th at the National Athletic stadium at Queen’s Park. Well-placed sources told THE NEW TODAY newspaper that Brown’s fee is believed to be paid by a moneymaking statutory body on the island. According to a source who asked not to be identified the money is not coming from government coffers through the Ministry of Finance because of financial constraints due to the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) with input from the Washington-based International Monetary Fund (IMF). He said the track and … Continue reading

CCG given harsh tongue-lashing

The Conference of Churches in Grenada (CCG) has come in for a barrage of criticisms regarding its statement released to the local media over talk show programmes. In the statement, the CCG felt that sometimes the topics chosen for discussion are dealt with in a misleading way, and that the hosts of the programmes should not allow callers to be abusive. One of the most popular talk show host, Kem Jones who was highly critical of the statement felt that the men of the cloth are acting as “conversational prostitutes.” Jones described members of the church grouping as “convenient speakers” … Continue reading

St. Paul’s women plead guilty in child abuse case

Two St. Paul’s residents, Kisha Passe, 33 and Josann Miller, 28, who were slapped with a wounding charge in connection to a child abuse video that went viral on social media last July, have pleaded guilty to the offence on Monday. The women appeared at the St. George’s No.1 Magistrate’s Court before Chief Magistrate, Her Honour Tamara Gill. The video showed a naked toddler being burnt on her hands with wax from a flaming candle. The baby was repeatedly made to touch the open flame and at one point being told to eat the candle wax. The women had retained … Continue reading